Thursday, October 22, 2009

How to make your own dog food


I so miss the Natural Pet Food pantry, but they won't make the dog food and put it in my own containers. So I got my creative freak on, searched the internet and came up with this version of my own Dog stew. I used hamburger rather than chicken because I had 2 pounds of ground round in the freezer. Had tomatoes too. And yes, I added a good doggy multivitamin/mineral to romeo's portion. I must admit to trying a bowl myself minus the supplement- although I maybe I should have added it to mine as well- I always wanted a shiny coat! I made enough to freeze for the rest of the week! Might have to try making my own Cat food next.

Doggy Stew- Rob's Version
2 pounds hamburger,browned ( the original recipe calls for 1 cup of boiled chicken
½ cup cooked brown rice
½ cup boiled mixed vegetables ( I used carrots and peas)
1 can of chopped tomatoes or 1 cup of chopped tomatoes (my own addition- my dog loves tomatoes) Red Icculus made a comment that he thought tomatoes- or rather the acid in them causes kidney stones in dogs. I don't know, but both my dog and cat love tomatoes- So ask your vetrinarian or use them at your own risk. This recipe is great with or without them!
3 to 4 Tbsp unsalted chicken broth

Stir together and serve at room temperature. A good doggy multivitamin/mineral supplement (I use Missing Link)may be added for good measure. Be sure to store unused portions in a covered container in the refrigerator and discard remains after 3 days. Or just freeze and thaw.
Find more recipes for dog food at Suite 101

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a good way to start and I am happy for your dog Romeo because he has a good owner/buddy. You can experiment more by using chicken or turkey meat. It is rich with protein that is good for Romeo. Also, Don't put too much grain on his diet, he might develop digestive malfunctions.