Monday, March 9, 2009

How to make a rebar Bender

I made my Rebar Bender out of a half inch floor flange, four 1/4 20thread, 1-1/2" long blots, eight nuts, 4 flat washers and 4 lock washers. On the backside of the flange I inserted a 1/2 inch 90 degree elbow (so my vice could hold on to the flange). I then went on to bend a piece of 3/8" Rebar- Guess what? The damn thing works! I made a Shepards hook on it.
Hint- you should keep a couple of pieces of pipe- I used 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch steel pipe, to use to bend the rebar, 16" and 24" inches long, respectfully. Just slip a piece of pipe onto the rebar, slip the piece of rebar you want to bend and go to it! Not perfect but it works!

Result: A Shepard's hook to hang things from!

2 comments:

Steve said...

Great job, just what I needed without spending a lot of time and money Thanks

Pete said...

I don't think it would pass an inspection on a good sized job, but not bad for around the house stuff.